It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strathcona Park Eagles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
Content Provider

I was at Strathcona Park on April 9, 2009, and saw a large eagle's nest at the southwest corner of the park. I've heard that this was supposedly an inactive nest, but when I viewed it from a distance on March 27, 2009 with a 10x zoom digital camera, I was sure I saw a large white head emerging from the branches.

I'm attaching two photos of the nest (with what appears to be a bald eagle in it) that I took on April 9.

Jim.

Attachments:
P4094148 Bald Eagle Strathcona Park 09Apr2009 gamma.jpg
P4094148 Bald Eagle Strathcona Park 09Apr2009 gamma.jpg [ 169.64 KiB | Viewed 31 times ]
P4094149 Bald Eagle Strathcona Park 09Apr2009 gamma.jpg
P4094149 Bald Eagle Strathcona Park 09Apr2009 gamma.jpg [ 165.94 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Strathcona Park Eagles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:39 pm 
Content Provider

Here's a map of where the nest is located. There's also a great gelato place nearby at Venables St. and Glen Dr. that will help make the trip even more worthwhile.

Jim.

Attachments:
Eagle's Nest Strathcona Park Map 2008.jpg
Eagle's Nest Strathcona Park Map 2008.jpg [ 261.45 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:59 pm 
Admin

Handsome pictures, Jim - and that sure does look like an eagle to me! :D :D If they were actually nesting on March 27, it may be getting close to time for little eaglets to appear - though I'm guessing it will be several weeks after they hatch before they'll be tall enough to peek over that rather high nest.

I did a bit of searching in Google, and I'm guessing this is the Strathcona Park in the city of Vancouver, not the provincial park on Vancouver Island - right? The map of the provincial park showed some nice-looking hiking trails, but I didn't see any gelato stands. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 am 
Content Provider

That's right, Judy - the Strathcona Park I'm referring to here is a municipal park in Vancouver. There are actually two eagle's nest in the park, that's why I included the air photo with an arrow pointing to the (hopefully still) active nest.

I'll drop by soon to see if there's any new or continued activity, and let you know what I find.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:18 pm 
Events Monitor

jim_slater wrote:
Here's a map of where the nest is located. There's also a great gelato place nearby at Venables St. and Glen Dr. that will help make the trip even more worthwhile.

Jim.

Funny thing about that gelato place-- for all the times I've driven by it I've never had the chance to go in and buy 1.

I look forward to more news...

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:38 pm 

I have dropped by twice in the past couple of days. No signs of eagles, but I was just watching from the road. No binoculars to help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:39 pm 

Where is the second nest?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 am 

Drove past the park (on Venables side) this morning at 8:30. It looked like there was an eagle sitting in the tree above the nest. Sorry didn't have time to stop and check the nest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 pm 
Content Provider

pureluck wrote:
Where is the second nest?

It's on the north side of the oval (see map above), along the west side of the straightaway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:12 pm 

Thanks, I saw that one but thought it was too small. I'll try to keep an eye on it as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm 

I dropped by Strathcona on Sunday. I thought that since there are so many eagles are around there might be a couple back at this nest. I stayed about 10 minutes, but could not find any. No binoculars or camera so I might have missed them if they were on the nest. I'll try to drop by when I can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 am 
Admin

Thanks for the update, iansmith! I'm sorry you didn't see any eagles, but not really surprised - I've been watching the cam for the Delta OWL nest quite a lot, and they do stop by the nest most (but not all) days - but they're often only there 10-20 minutes.

I hope you get to see one (or both?) pairs soon - please do keep us posted! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 pm 
Admin

As part of our move to the new forum, I'm now locking the remaining threads.

We don't have all the threads set up for the Nests in British Columbia with Ground Observers - but we're getting more all the time! Please check here - http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/index.php?forum=13 - to see if the thread for this nest is available yet. (I do apologize for doing a one-size-doesn't-quite-fit-all post.)

If you have any questions about registering for the new forum, please check here for help - viewforum.php?f=193. This forum will remain available in a read-only format, so nothing here will be lost.

And if you are a content provider - or would like to be one - please contact me, jkr or PEB at forumadmin at hancockwildlife dot org.

Hope to see you on the new forum soon!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]