It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Palm Coast, Florida Bald Eagles
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 am 
Content Provider

jax lady wrote:
Margieford44, are you the same margie that worked for bcbsfl. If so, I know you. J. Pringle.

I've been watching some of the other cams, but was glad to see some photos of FL eagles. The cam I watched last year is not opperating. Good photos and updates. Thanks.

No, I am a different Margie...sorry!

Here is a picture that Gretchen took through her spotting scope. This is Mom and the female fledgling from two days ago. Both fledglings still have not left the nest...LOL! Mom and Dad both fly into the nest with food. They are fed quite often. :D

Click for bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:19 pm 
Project Coordinator

How comforting to see the female fledgling in the tree with Mom. This is good that the eaglets are not trying to fly yet. They are not ready. Thank you for being our eyes on this eagle family, Margie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:06 pm 
Content Provider

Hi Margie,

I'm so glad to see the nest you monitor. I believe we spoke not too long ago. I monitor bald eagles in Pinellas County.

Barb Walker
Palm Harbor, FL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:44 am 
Content Provider

Hi Barb. Nice to see you on here! Are you posting about your nests too?

The fledglings at Wild Oaks are doing great. Both are always somewhere near the nest waiting for food to be brought in. A couple of days ago, the male fledgling was sitting right behiind the nest. The female fledgling was sitting a little further away. All of the sudden, Mom flies right by the male and keeps going. He then starts to peep. A few minutes later, here she comes with a fish. She flew right by him with it. She flew to a different tree. She started to eat the fish. He continued to peep and peep. THen he flew to the tree that she was in, and sat right above her peeping and peeping. She ate a little bit of the fish, then just sat there with the fish in her talons for about 30 minutes. The male fledgling flew all around her peeping and peeping. I was wondering if she wanted him to take it from her? A little while later, she flew to the nest with the fish, both fledglings followed her. She then fed both of them.

Here is a picture of the female fledgling during that time. She didn't move at all until Mom flew to the nest. She did peep a little bit though.

Click for bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:11 pm 
Events Monitor

What a beautiful fledgling. and a wonderful story, too. Mom must have had a lesson to teach her fledglings. I hope they learned it.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 am 
Content Provider

Here are a couple of pictures of the fledglings playing while flying from yesterday.

Click for bigger pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:59 am 
Content Provider

Wonderful flight photos of the chicks interacting. We should compare notes as to how long they keep coming back to the nest, and whether the entire family departs around the same time. Our Pembroke Pines chicks still keep coming back to eat several times a day. They are almost 13 1/2 weeks old and out of the nest almost 2 1/2 weeks.

Ken

Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest Watch Page: http://rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Nest Watchers Forum: http://rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html#FORUM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:39 am 
Content Provider

It looks like the Wild Oaks fledglings are gone! :( They have not been seen since yesterday morning. We were there most of the day yesterday, and neither one came back, even when Mom & Dad flew into the nest with food. Gretchen stayed until dark, and they never came back to the nest to sleep. They are only 16 weeks old? I didn't think that they fledged that soon.

The Creek Course eaglets fledged last week. The sad thing is, at this nest, is that you can only see them if they fly back to the nest to eat or sleep. It's hard to be able to see them flying because it's such a wooded area.

The sad thing is, Gretchen, who also monitors this nest, was out of town for 10 days, (family emergency), and the day she gets back, the Wild Oaks fledglings are gone. She is really, really sad. She was just crying on the phone. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:45 am 
Project Coordinator

Eaglets fledge around 12 weeks of age, sometimes earlier. At Santa Cruz I remember one of them fledged 1 day before he was 11 weeks old. The amount of time they hang around the nest after fledging varies. So if you were still seeing them at 16 weeks, that is great. Thanks for the report, Margie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 am 
Admin

I think Dr. Sharpe, who monitors the eagles on the Channel Islands off California, has said that fledglings there generally leave the area about four weeks after they fledge - so it looks as if the Wild Oaks duo are right on schedule. I know when I've been watching a nest on cam all season, I'm happy to see the little eaglets becoming successful fledglings and doing what they were meant to do - but I miss them. It must be so much harder for you and Gretchen, who have been watching them "live and in person" all season.

Safe journey, young eagles! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:18 pm 

Hi Margie (and Gretchen!). I want to thank you for the education at the nest and the friendship. I returned to my northern upstate NY home on 4/24 to wonderful warm weather. On 4/28 I took my 'light weight' Hornbeck canoe on the Susquehannah River out of Owego NY. Much to my amazement, I spotted an adult eagle flying over the river, and landing in a tree on an island in the river! On closer inspection, the adult was at the nest in a tall pine! It's an hour and a half from my home, so not as convenient as Wild Oaks!
Hopefully, I will join you and Gretchen in 2010 for the next hatch. Miss you, and hope you are dealing with the departure of your 'babies'. I know it must be hard. You have been wonderful caretakers of this marvelous breed, and have brought much enjoyment to all of the Palm Coast 'viewers'. Take care.
Sue St. Louis
Attachment:
Hiawatha Island Adult & nest 4-26-09.JPG
Hiawatha Island Adult & nest 4-26-09.JPG [ 92.97 KiB | Viewed 1507 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:41 pm 
Content Provider

Hi Sue!! The fledglings are still around. We thought that they had migrated, but last weekend we saw both of them! A few days ago, we saw them both again. Mom and Dad are not happy that they are back. They try to chase them off, but they always come back...LOL! Every night around 5:00 p.m., Mom or Dad is sitting on the dead tree, next to the sleeping tree. The last few days, here comes the female fledgling! :D She flies in peeping, then sits right next to the adult, who is screaming at her to get out of here...LOL! Then the adult just gives up. I am so happy that they are still here. I told Gretchen that they were gone, but I was wrong. I did not know that they wandered back to the nest area.

Thanks for posting and for the picture. It was great to meet you and we will see you next year!!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:22 am 
Project Coordinator

Welcome to Hancock Wildlife Discussion Forum, Sue St Louis. I hope that you will let us know if you spot other bald eagles up in your area of New York.

Margie.....Thanks again so much for reporting on your Florida eagles this year. Because their season is ahead of ours, it gives our members nests to follow while they are waiting for ours to start their nesting season.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next